A Tale of Different Cities

I often get asked where I am from, especially ever since I’ve started blogging. Every time, I try to escape giving vague responses that leave people confused. The truth is that the answer has grown complicated over time. Some people expect me to tell where my parents stay while others expect me to tell them which language I speak. And then yes, after all that explanation people ask me what does the place Varanasi have to do with my surname or vice versa. I guess this should have been my first post, but let me try to catch up.

I was born in Calcutta, at Woodlands, which was a reputed hospital at the time. I spent my childhood over there munching on Bengali sweets and jhal-muri till I was about 6 years old. I was such a fan of jhal-muri as a kid that I would take control of the kitchen whenever I was hungry and chop up all the ingredients so the entire family could feast on it.

My next six years were in Bangalore where I spent the peak years of my life. I loved the city a lot more at the time, when IT was booming and it was a still green. This was the place that shaped my personality the most.

Next we moved to a place near Bokaro Steel City in Jharkhand and given the sudden change of atmosphere I couldn’t cope with the surroundings. Although now that I think of it, it was quite a peaceful place where we had a garden, a huge quarter between forests where we could listen to wolves howling at night during winters, and that wasn’t scary. However, 3 years later, I decided to join a boarding school at my mum’s hometown at Vizag, for two years. So yeah, I’ve been away from home since I was 15.

img_1165

I then joined my college in Rajasthan, a few hours from Jaipur where I spent four years. It was the most beautiful state that I lived in and places around are extremely rich in culture. I’m proud of my college as well, it consisted some of the smartest girls I’ve met in my life.

I then moved to Mysore, where I was trained for my first job. Mysore was also a clean and colorful city. I fell in love with it instantly. After a brief period of six months, I was posted to Chennai. Despite all the negative comments I’ve heard about the place, I didn’t let it affect my opinion. If you look closely you would find that people out there are more down to earth and not materialistic. While I moved there my parents moved from Jharkhand to Bangalore, after which I frequently visited Bangalore from Chennai.

After about five cozy years at Chennai, I moved to Pune, although technically I was at Mumbai for the first six months and then came back to Pune. I’ve been enjoying my stay here quite a lot. People are open and friendly. I’ve been trekking and traveling a lot more from here.

My parents belong to Andhra. My mum is from Vizag, one of my favorite cities, and my dad is from a town on the banks of Godavari called Rajahmundry. Staying at all these places has even allowed me to learn bits of Bengali, Kannada, Hindi, Tamil, a tiny bit of Marathi and of course my mother tongue Telugu. I tried to take the best out of every place which and learned at a young age that change is the only constant.

And oh, almost forgot! About Varanasi, it could be that our ancestors are from there, but I’ve got no proof 😬.

Advertisements

25 Comments Add yours

1. Gagandeep Bhatti says:

Nice blog. Keep it up Siu. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. Mitali says:

So next time you can send this link when the question pops ‘where are you from’ :p

Liked by 2 people

3. rkool70 says:

Thanks for introducing yourself, way before some new followers asking you. Nice presentation… keep writing.

Liked by 1 person

4. Basawaraj says:

Interesting to know that you got chance to live in so many cities which are rich in culture, now hardly few states left for you in India! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Hehe, yeah I plan to travel and cover few 😊

Liked by 1 person

5. I guess, all about you have been written except the fact Varanasi!!
    Crystal clear picture of Sudha Varanasi is very well reflected above.. Must say,, very well written.. Keep it up!!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks a lot for your wonderful praises!! Glad to have friends like you 😊😊

Liked by 1 person

6. richi bansal says:

Very well written and described. I would say you took me to a tour by your words. Keep writing

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks a lot 😊

7. Vasundhra says:

It would have been such a beautiful experience! Meeting people from different cultures, trying different cuisines and learning new languages. Loved reading your post!

Liked by 3 people

8. LoneArt1st says:

When I was a kid, I thought I would live in one neighborhood, one house in one city for the rest of my life. But reading this article reminded me that I’ve went places to places and will always be like that.

Life isn’t static.

9. Wow your life must be so rich in culture!

1. Yeah, true, I’ve tried to take the best out of every place 😊

Liked by 1 person

10. Wow you’ve seen so much in India. I have been to Mysore and lived in Bangalore as a child but my home has been Hyderabad from a long time, before which 10 lovely years were spent growing up in Dubai.
    Sorry for the long comment. I loved reading your post.

Liked by 1 person

1. Great, you also seem to have seen a lot

11. TechFlax says:

I have started from Rajasthan. Now leaving in Bangalore so Janam bhumi and karam bhumi 😀😀 well written

12. Anuj ! says:

Ah, Pune’s home. Have some Koregaon Park momos for me sometime! Love your blog! :’)

1. Sure, I’ll try em out 👍🏻👍🏻

13. Roopa says:

that’s really a best way of introduction.

1. Thanks a lot 😊